Logo design is the most crucial aspect of your brand. It’s a visual representation of who you are as a business, what you stand for, and what you promise to deliver to your customers; your logo sets the tone of what’s to come when customers engage your business. When it comes to branding, your logo is the foundation of your brand, so it needs to be right.
Unfortunately, there are too many examples of bad “DIY” logo design. Or new businesses using outsourcing to dodgy logo design folks, just to save a few bucks. Whilst there are plenty of aspects of business which don’t hurt to “DIY”, logo design isn’t one of them. Take a read why…
Your brand is your promise
Simply put, your brand is your promise to your customer. It tells potential customers what to expect from you, your services and products, and it sets you apart from your competitors. Using a $10 logo you purchased online hardly screams “quality”, so be careful the message you’re trying to convey.
Logo design comes first
You need to understand that business cards, stationery, signage, your website, packaging and promotional materials. All of which feature your logo—are vehicles to communicate your brand and can only be developed once you have finalised your logo and brand strategy.
With logo design, you get what you pay for
Whilst there are now a number of low-cost options for startups and SMEs to develop a “logo”. Paying $10 to an online designer will most likely result in exactly that – a logo that looks like you paid $10 for it.
These types of logos are often just duplicates of other logos (which defeats the purpose of your logo setting you apart from competitors).
Why use a marketing agency for logo design
- A marketing agency will consider the strategic elements of your branding campaign; not just create a pretty picture.
- A reputable agency will create a unique logo that no one else has. They ensure you don’t infringe on copyrighted or trademarked materials, or, at the very least, you don’t have a similar logo to your competitor.
- Marketing agencies will often provide a style guide for your brand. A style guide includes your brand fonts and colours, as well as guidelines on how to use the logo to ensure it always looks its best.
- A good agency will provide all the logo files you need for future marketing work. This saves money and time when you’re looking for professional print or if you need to use particular files for a new design or for web projects. If your logo is designed in a Microsoft program or Canva, for example, many professional printers won’t accept these logos and will charge you to recreate to the correct file type.
- They will get it right the first time. There’s nothing worse than designing your own logo, or having something that isn’t quite right, printing thousands of business cards, letterhead, setting up your Facebook page, getting uniforms and signwriting, only to reflect a few months later and realise it’s not doing the job. Get it right early and have a professional take care of the logo.
At Birdcage Marketing, we absolutely love putting together brand strategies and designing logos. In fact, we’ve been trusted by some of Australia’s best startup, small and medium sized businesses to make sure their branding is up to scratch. If you’re looking for help with making a statement, contact us today to learn more about our affordable logo design packages for startups and SMEs.